Sunday, August 14, 2011

Doing What I Do Best - EXPLORING!!!

Wow, my first week in Berkeley has been amazing in most every way.  I started my rotation on Monday and it has been such a wonderful experience.  My preceptor is the best teacher EVER (besides my dad, duh) and lets me do anything and everything a pharmacist would.  I am involved in lots of research projects, grant writing, pre-pharmacy club Q&A sessions, and presentations in addition to working in the pharmacy and learning SO much.  I LOVE IT!  I am interning on the UC Berkeley campus and get one hour for lunch so I get to explore the area during that time. The campus area is amazing - so many people outside walking around, people playing music, tons of unique foodie joints, and loads of shopping. Heaven if you ask me.

Things I have done so far:
1. Found Trader Joes and Whole Foods (they are in walking distance!!)
2. Located two local breweries: Triple Rock and Pyramid Brewery (there are more to come)!
3. Eaten out downtown twice - to Dara Thai Lao Cuisine with Cameron and Fat Apples with my 88 year old roommate!
4. Ran every morning in the Berkeley hills (kicks my butt)!
5. Biked to the top of Grizzly Peak (sea level to 1,758 ft in elevation)
6. Found a bike shop that has group rides - I will join them this Sunday :o)
7. Explored campus and learned a little about what they have to offer
8. Worked 8 hours every day and loved every single second of it!!  I love my preceptor! Ha ha.

Here are some pics... ENJOY!

My kitchen - I have the entire basement to myself which is 2 bedrooms and 1 bath plus a full kitchen! It is so perfect for me.

My bedroom - huge closets, sliding window shades, big bed.. It's great! No more air mattress.. for now!

Triple Rock Brewery near UC Berkeley campus

Cameron came to visit me!! We had such a fun time and he fixed my bike, THANK YOU!

Biking and searching for spots that had a good view.  It is a little foggy but still enough evidence to see the hill that I live on!

Me biking - I love it so much because it is something my dad and I can do together! I wear a jersey of his every time I bike.

View of Berkeley from my bike

My roommate!  Her name is Thelma and she is 88 years old.  She has the most tender heart and kind soul and has been so wonderful to me!  She took me out to dinner to Fat Apples

Pyramid Brewery

GRIZZLY PEAK!!!  This is at the top - I biked from below the fog to above the fog!! So neat!


I'm on top of the world, ooohhhh :o)  AND I have my dad's Cookie Monster jersey on!

While running I found this pretty flowers

Flowers in Berkeley!

As you can tell, I am enjoying my time here.  Five weeks left!  I flew home to Utah this past weekend, Aug 12-14th, for my dad's memorial bike ride.  I will post pictures very soon.  It was really nice to have such a great turn out and so great to be home.  I am glad to be back in Berkeley though so I can learn more and get back focused on school - but at the same time, will definitely miss my family, especially my sister. She has been so tremendous.  MUCH LOVE!

1 comment: